Notices and Legal Information

Detailed Information Regarding the Terms and Conditions

Zufaa always communicates openly with its clients to everyone’s benefit and satisfaction.



  • Zufaa Contract Denotes Legally Binding Independent Agreements with Customers
  • Before any services are provided, both parties should agree on the terms, including payment.
  • You must inform us at least a week in advance if you want to cancel or transfer the services to another agency.
  • Zufaa reserves the right to use a subcontractor to carry out the agreed-upon services.
  • There are no third-party beneficiaries to this agreement; only the parties to the contract can enforce its terms.
  • To clarify, in Section 1.1, “Customer” refers to the party placing an order for Services and, as such, is liable for costs due under and in compliance with this Agreement.
  • The term “Effective Date” shall refer to the earlier of I, the date on which Customer returns the Company a signed copy of the Terms, and (ii) the date on which Customer tenders payment to the Company in line with the Terms.
  • “Person” means any natural or legal person, including but not limited to a corporation, limited liability company, trust, joint venture, association, company, limited or general partnership, unincorporated organization, governmental body, or other entity.


  • If they agree on a fixed quote, the client will have to pay 70% of the billable amount of the services before the work starts, and the other 30% will have to be paid within 10 days of the date the services are done.
  • The invoices will be sent to clients every month.
  • Zufaa has the right to end a client’s service if they don’t pay their monthly fees and give three days’ notice.


Zufaa won’t be blamed for any indirect or secondary losses that clients suffer because of a delay in delivering an agreed-upon service if the delay is caused by natural disasters or other things that can’t be controlled.

Zufaa won’t be responsible for putting the content out there or for any loss of profit, status, or another business asset because of how the content is shared in digital media.


  • As long as the terms and conditions are followed, the client’s waiver will only be valid if it is sent in writing.
  • Zufaa will not allow waivers, and clients will be responsible for any of the terms and conditions-related obligations if we don’t meet your strict requirements.